If you or your loved one are searching for “rehab near me” and looking for local help for a substance abuse problem, there are many resources that can help you. With that said, you may still be wondering how this situation occurred in the first place? How does substance use disorder happen?
There is no simple answer to this question. Substance abuse and addiction are serious problems with numerous complex causes.
With that said, there are a few common underlying causes that are present in a number of people, these often occur during childhood or adolescence.
When it comes to identifying the causes for someone’s harmful behavior, ACEs are one research study that is backed by a number of organizations including Kaiser Permanente and the Center for Disease Control, but what exactly are ACEs?
What are ACES?
ACEs, or Adverse Childhood Experiences, are potentially traumatic things that happen during someone’s childhood and adolescence. This can come from experiencing violence, abuse, neglect, or more.
Adverse childhood experiences have been linked to a number of problems including:
- Risky health behaviors
- Chronic health conditions
- Early death and more
Some potential outcomes from these issues include:
- Fetal death
- Alcohol & Drug Abuse
Essentially, the belief behind ACEs is that these childhood experiences will lead to social, emotional, or cognitive impairment which will then lead to an adoption of risk behaviors and cause issues such as disease, disability, or social problems which can lead to an early death.
While the presence of ACEs does not necessarily mean that a child will have problems, they are indicators. With that said, childhood positive experiences or factors can prevent some children from feeling adversity and can protect them from many negative health consequences.
Take The Test
If you are wondering what your ACEs score is, you can take the test on AcesTooHigh or see it below:
Before your 18th birthday:
- Did a parent or adult in the house often swear at you, insult you, or humiliate you? Did they act in a way that made you afraid you may get physically hurt?
- Did a parent or other adult in the household often push, slap, grab, or throw things at you or ever hit you so hard that you had marks or were injured?
- Did an adult or person at least five years older than you ever touch or fondle you or have you touch their body in a sexual way or attempt to have sex with you?
- Did you often or very often feel that no one in your family loved you or thought you were important or special? Or your family didn’t look out for each other, feel close to each other, or support each other?
- Did you often or very often feel that you didn’t have enough to eat or had to wear dirty clothes, and had nobody to protect you?
- Were your parents separated or divorced?
- Was your mother or stepmother pushed, grabbed, slapped, or had stuff thrown at her? Was she often kicked, bitten, hit with a fist or something hard? Or threatened with a gun or knife?
- Did you live with anyone who was a problem drinker or alcohol, or used street drugs?
- Was a household member depressed or mentally ill? Or did a household member attempt suicide?
- Did a household member go to prison?
Now add up your “yes” answers. In general, the higher the score, the more likely people are to deal with some of these issues.
If you are worried that you are suffering from substance abuse problems or a loved one is dealing with these issues, you may want to find a local rehab that can help you.
Rehab Near Me
If you are looking for a nearby rehab or treatment facility, there are many local options available to help people who need it. There are many benefits to going to a rehab that is close to home and it may actually help you in recovery.
Going to a recovery facility can be difficult and even frightening to some people, but finding a drug rehab near you may give the patient an increased sense of comfort versus being taken to a different place in the country.
Along with this added comfort level, going to a rehab facility that is nearby will allow family and loved ones to visit when the time is right. Family therapy is one of the most effective and useful forms of therapy during treatment that can help give the patient an added perspective and allow them to rebuild bridges that may have been burned in the past.
During family therapy, patients and families are put through a therapeutically guided counseling session in which family members share the impact that substance abuse has had on them from an individual perspective.
Along with more family involvement, there are a few other benefits to going to a local rehab. For one, it is likely more cost-effective than a national rehab and you will not have any additional travel costs associated with going to treatment.
The period after discharge is one of the most difficult times to stay sober for people who are new to recovery. Luckily, going to a local rehab can give you or your loved one a better path forward than some national rehabs. There will likely be a local outpatient facility that patients will have access to which will help them continue their treatment and stay committed to sobriety. Moreover, staying local will allow patients to get in contact with and stay in contact with people who can provide the local support that they need.
Overall, there are a number of benefits and positives that come from going to a local or nearby rehab. However, it is still important to learn about the specific facility and organization that you are looking into. You want to be sure that you are getting the best treatment available. Your sobriety depends on it.
If you are looking for a treatment facility that can help you or your loved one overcome substance abuse, Landmark Recovery is one facility that gives you the tools and knowledge you need to achieve long-term sobriety. At Landmark, we offer patients an individualized treatment plan that is tailored to a patient’s specific needs.
If you are searching for rehab near me, Landmark may be able to help. Landmark Recovery is a local rehab and we have facilities in Kentucky and Indiana. Landmark is dedicated to helping one million families over of the next 100 years and being a part of the solution to the drug epidemic that is affecting so many people around the country.