Different drugs impact the body in different ways, but all drugs will lead to dependence in the form of either a mental or physical need for the substance, or oftentimes both. Our Indianapolis addiction treatment facility understands the unique impacts that drugs have on the body and uses science-based treatment programs to help you detox.
Addiction, also referred to as substance use disorder, is a chronic disease characterized by uncontrollable drug seeking and use. The repeated use of drugs will cause changes in parts of the brain, especially those areas that are involved in reward and motivation, learning and memory, and control over behavior. 1 These changes will interfere with your self-control and challenge your ability to resist the intense urges to use drugs. This inevitably leads to the harmful behaviors and actions that are seen in people who suffer from addiction.
Drug addiction and abuse is a major crisis that continues to have a devastating impact across the state of Indiana. Nearly a half million people, or 1 in 12 residents, meet the criteria for having a substance use disorder. 2 According to a study from Indiana University, drug addiction has cost the state over $43 billion since 2003. 3 Tragically, the overall toll of drug addiction is much greater than this. Drugs have shattered several communities, led to new clusters of infectious disease, and increased the number of children needing foster care.
On average, 5 people die by drug overdose every day in Indiana. 4 Drug overdose mortalities in Indiana have nearly doubled since 2010, growing from 923 to 1,809 in 2017, and now account for more deaths than car crashes. And like the rest of the nation, Indiana has been hit hard by the recent opioid epidemic. In the last decade alone, nearly 4,000 state residents have died from opioids, while from 2012 to 2016, deaths related to synthetic opioids in Indiana increased over 600 percent. 5
The path to recovery from drug addiction starts with stopping the use of drugs and undergoing detoxification, or detox at a treatment center. This is the process in which all drugs are eliminated from your body. Depending on the type of substance used and the severity of your addiction, you will likely experience various symptoms of withdrawal as your body adjusts to the absence of drugs. These symptoms can be physical or mental and may include: 6
Drug detox can be extremely painful and uncomfortable. It can also be very dangerous, as there is always a possibility that any number of life-threatening complications may arise during this recovery process. For this reason, we strongly encourage you to consider undergoing detox under medical supervision at a drug detox treatment facility.
At Landmark Recovery of Indianapolis, we offer a medically supervised detox program that provides 24-hour support and monitoring to keep you safe and comfortable. Our medical team screens all incoming patients and will develop a personalized detox program that meets your individual needs. This may include the administration of certain medications to help reduce your withdrawal symptoms.
Strict supervision by our specially trained clinicians in Indianapolis, including internal medicine specialists and psychiatrists, during the entire process allows us to recognize and address any dangerous complications of drug withdrawal. For example, if you are going through cocaine detox we will focus on the management of your initial cravings and anxiety, whereas if you are detoxing from alcohol you will be closely monitored for physical symptoms of withdrawal that can lead to seizures or death if not properly treated.
The drug detox recovery program at Landmark Recovery of Indianapolis offers detoxification in a safe and comfortable state-of-the-art facility. Although detoxification by itself is not a treatment for drug addiction, you can be smoothly transitioned into one of our science-backed, evidence-based drug treatment programs immediately after completion of the detox process. Please call Landmark Recovery at 317-449-8029 to learn more about the medically supervised detox programs offered at our state-of-the-art drug detox center in Indianapolis.
We can help prepare you to live beyond addiction. Talk to a recovery specialist today.
We never share your information with anyone. Period.
You are never alone. Someone is always standing by when you are ready to chat.
Deciding on treatment can be scary. We understand if it takes you a little while to commit.
1) National Institute on Drug Abuse. (2018). Understanding Drug Use and Addiction.https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/drugfacts/understanding-drug-use-addiction
2) Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. (2019). National Survey on Drug Use and Health: 2017-2018 State-Specific Tables, Table 40. Indiana.https://www.samhsa.gov/data/report/2016-2017-nsduh-state-specific-tables
3) Brewer RM, Freeman KM. Cumulative economic damages from 15 years of opioid misuse throughout Indiana. Indiana Business Review. 2018;93(1):article 2.https://www.ibrc.indiana.edu/ibr/2018/spring/article2.html
4) Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Health Statistics. (2020). Drug Overdose Mortality by State.https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/sosmap/drug_poisoning_mortality/drug_poisoning.htm
5) Indiana University. (2020). The crisis in Indiana: Addiction affects every aspect of Hoosier life.https://addictions.iu.edu/understanding-crisis/crisis-in-indiana.html
6) Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. (2015). Treatment Improvement Protocol 45: Detoxification and Substance Abuse Treatment.https://store.samhsa.gov/product/TIP-45-Detoxification-and-Substance-Abuse-Treatment/SMA15-4131