If you’re looking for addiction treatment and recovery services in Virginia, Landmark Recovery of Richmond offers extensive marijuana addiction recovery to patients throughout the state. This is how we accomplish our goal of saving as many lives as possible in the next century, starting with you or your loved one. Let us help you get your life back on track to live the life you deserve.
Marijuana is a plant that occurs naturally and is commonly referred to as cannabis. The drug itself is from dried cannabis leaves that are then ground up and smoked. The chemical that produces the key effects found from smoking marijuana is called Tetrahydrocannabinol, aka THC. THC is molecularly similar to the neurotransmitter chemical called anandamide, allowing it to easily bind to neurons and induce a state of relaxation and pleasure.
The use of marijuana correlates with a higher rate of psychosis in users compared to non-smokers, but scientists can’t necessarily agree why that’s the case. There’s a strong possibility that it activates latent psychosis in users.
Around 9% of marijuana users eventually become addicted and studies have shown that it can permanently lower IQ by an average of 8 points over time for long term smokers. Because marijuana is one of the most used drugs, even 9% being substance-dependent represents a large amount of individuals using mind-altering substances.
According to SAMHSA, in 2019 12.48% of Virginias smoked marijuana at least once over the past year. Marijuana is now legal in the state of Virginia as of 2021, but it can reasonably be assumed that somewhere around the same amount, if not slightly more, smoke marijuana compared to when it was illegal.
While the number of those addicted to a legal substance remains non-zero, it’s advised that anyone who suspects they might be dependent on marijuana should call a treatment center for options. This is where Landmark Recovery steps in to help get you back on your feet.
Rehab can be tough when your dopamine levels crash during a detox, but Landmark is here with effective treatment. Our facilities offer both outpatient and residential treatment services (depending on your level of medical need) alongside therapy and counseling to holistically treat the root causes of addiction. If your withdrawal is bumpy, we offer medication assisted treatment so your recovery is as effective as possible.
While here, 12-step programs like AA and NA can be accessed and then continued after you leave our care. A nationally available alumni program is available upon successfully completing your treatment to minimize the chance of repeating negative behaviors.
To learn more about how Landmark Recovery can help you in your recovery walk today, give us a call at 804-599-3473. There’s no shame in asking for help. Let us help you live beyond addiction.
We can help prepare you to live beyond addiction. Talk to a recovery specialist today.
We never share your information with anyone. Period.
You are never alone. Someone is always standing by when you are ready to chat.
Deciding on treatment can be scary. We understand if it takes you a little while to commit.
1) Landmark Recovery.https://landmarkrecovery.com/
2) Landmark Recovery. Services.https://landmarkrecovery.com/services/
3) National Institute on Drug Abuse. (2020).https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/research-reports/marijuana/how-does-marijuana-produce-its-effects
4) Slate Star Codex. (2014). MARIJUANA: MUCH MORE THAN YOU WANTED TO KNOW.https://slatestarcodex.com/2014/01/05/marijuana-much-more-than-you-wanted-to-know/
5) National Center for Biotechnology Information.https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3371269/
6) Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. (2012).https://www.pnas.org/content/109/40/E2657.full
7) The Economic Analysis of Substance Use and Abuse: An Integration of Econometrics and Behavioral Economic Research. (1999).https://www.nber.org/system/files/chapters/c11158/c11158.pdf