Looking for marijuana addiction treatment in Virginia? Landmark Recovery of Richmond provides safe and effective treatment services to patients throughout the state and beyond. Our goal is to save as many lives as possible in the next century, starting with you or your loved one. Let Landmark help you get your life on track.
Marijuana is a plant that occurs naturally and is commonly referred to as cannabis. The drug itself is from dried cannabis leaves that are then ground up and smoked. The chemical that produces the key effects found from smoking marijuana is called Tetrahydrocannabinol, aka THC. THC is molecularly similar to the neurotransmitter chemical called anandamide, allowing it to easily bind to neurons and induce a state of relaxation and pleasure.
The use of marijuana correlates with a higher rate of psychosis in users compared to non-smokers, but scientists can’t necessarily agree why that’s the case. There’s a strong possibility that it activates latent psychosis in users.
Around 9% of marijuana users eventually become addicted and studies have shown that it can permanently lower IQ by an average of 8 points over time for long-term smokers. Because marijuana is one of the most used drugs, even 9% being substance-dependent represents a large number of individuals using mind-altering substances.
According to SAMHSA, in 2019 12.48% of Virginians smoked marijuana at least once over the past year. Marijuana is now legal in the state of Virginia as of 2021, but it can reasonably be assumed that somewhere around the same amount, if not slightly more, smoke marijuana compared to when it was illegal.
While the number of those addicted to a legal substance remains non-zero, it’s advised that anyone who suspects they might be dependent on marijuana should call a treatment center for options. This is where Landmark Recovery steps in to help get you back on your feet.
At Landmark, we value holistic treatment for those seeking out solutions to their addictions. When you arrive at our facilities, our dedicated team will help get you situated so you can begin treatment immediately. We offer both residential and outpatient treatment paths depending on your level of medical need and augment your time with therapy and counseling to treat the root causes of addiction.
While you’re with us, we provide access to 12-step programs both here and off-campus, including AA and NA. Our alumni program is extensive and is available to all graduated patients to help them maintain a lasting recovery phase throughout their lives once they leave our care.
To learn more about how Landmark Recovery can help you in your recovery walk today, give us a call at 804-599-3473. There’s no shame in asking for help. Let us help you live beyond addiction.
We can help prepare you to live beyond addiction. Talk to a recovery specialist today.
We never share your information with anyone. Period.
You are never alone. Someone is always standing by when you are ready to chat.
Deciding on treatment can be scary. We understand if it takes you a little while to commit.
1) Landmark Recovery.https://landmarkrecovery.com/
2) Landmark Recovery. Services.https://landmarkrecovery.com/services/
3) National Institute on Drug Abuse. (2020).https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/research-reports/marijuana/how-does-marijuana-produce-its-effects
4) Slate Star Codex. (2014). MARIJUANA: MUCH MORE THAN YOU WANTED TO KNOW.https://slatestarcodex.com/2014/01/05/marijuana-much-more-than-you-wanted-to-know/
5) National Center for Biotechnology Information.https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3371269/
6) Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. (2012).https://www.pnas.org/content/109/40/E2657.full
7) The Economic Analysis of Substance Use and Abuse: An Integration of Econometrics and Behavioral Economic Research. (1999).https://www.nber.org/system/files/chapters/c11158/c11158.pdf