Kratom stays in the system anywhere from a few days to several weeks, depending on individual factors. The drug’s half-life is around 24 hours, meaning the body eliminates it on average within two days. Originating from a tree native to Southeast Asia, Kratom is known for leaves that contain psychotropic effect compounds.
In recent years, it has gained popularity in the United States for its ability as a pain reliever and mood booster. Its use, legal in some states, raises concerns for those in recovery. However, understanding how long kratom stays in the system is crucial for its users, especially when considering legality and potential effects on recovery.
What is Kratom?
Mitragyna speciosa, scientifically known as kratom, contains alkaloids like mitragynine and 7-hydroxymitragynine that interact with opioid receptors in the brain. These interactions cause euphoric and relaxing sensations. Though not an opioid, kratom’s effects resemble those of opioids, raising concern for those in the recovery community.
Learn more about kratom and its uses and effects at the National Institute on Drug Abuse’s website.
What Kratom Does for People Who Take It
Kratom, an herbal supplement derived from the Mitragyna speciosa tree leaves, has served various traditional purposes and has recently gained Western cultures’ popularity. Here’s an overview of what it does for its users:
- Pain Relief: Mitragynine and 7-hydroxymitragynine, kratom’s active compounds, interact with opioid receptors in the brain, providing analgesic effects, making it a popular choice for chronic pain management.
- Mood Enhancement: Some users feel euphoria and increased well-being after consuming kratom, often citing boosted mood as a reason for recreational use.
- Energy Boosting: Certain kratom strains are believed to enhance energy and focus levels, making it a choice for improving productivity.
- Assistance with Opioid Withdrawal: Interestingly, kratom’s similarity to opioids has led some to use it to manage opioid addiction withdrawal symptoms. While research is limited, anecdotal evidence suggests effectiveness for some individuals.
- Anxiety Reduction: Finally, some users find kratom helpful in reducing anxiety and stress, promoting a relaxed state of mind.
Factors Influencing How Long Kratom Stays in the System
Several factors determine how long kratom stays in the body. These include:
- Age: Older individuals may process kratom more slowly.
- Body Fat: Higher body fat may retain it longer since its alkaloids are fat-soluble.
- Metabolic Rate: Conversely, a faster metabolism can process it more quickly.
- Frequency and Dosage: Longer retention can result from higher doses and frequent use.
- Overall Health: Additionally, factors such as liver and kidney function, hydration, and overall health can influence how long it stays in the system.
Various testing methods, including blood, urine, and hair tests, can detect the drug’s presence. Here are general guidelines for detection windows:
- Blood Test: Up to 7 days
- Urine Test: Up to 9 days
- Hair Test: Up to 90 days
These windows can vary significantly based on the previously mentioned factors.
Why Kratom Can Be Dangerous for Individuals
Despite its potential benefits, kratom presents several risks and drawbacks:
- Lack of Regulation: Inconsistencies in quality, potency, and purity result from largely unregulated kratom. Contaminated or adulterated products can cause serious health risks.
- Addiction Potential: Furthermore, regular kratom use can lead to physical dependence and addiction, with withdrawal symptoms such as muscle aches, insomnia, irritability, and aggression.
- Interference with Recovery: For those recovering from substance abuse, kratom’s psychoactive properties can hinder recovery progress, leading to relapse or substituting one addiction for another.
- Unknown Long-Term Effects: The long-term effects of kratom use are poorly understood, and more research is needed to determine chronic use’s potential risks.
- Drug Interactions: Moreover, kratom may interact with other medications or substances, causing unexpected problems or side effects.
While some users may find relief and benefits in kratom, the potential risks and negative aspects cannot be ignored. If you or someone you know struggles with substance use, including kratom, consider seeking professional advice.
Kratom use can cause concerns for those seeking or maintaining recovery. Its psychoactive effects may lead to dependency or hinder the recovery process. If you or a loved one struggles with substance abuse, seeking professional help is essential in the journey towards recovery.
You don’t have to go cold turkey or recover alone; Landmark Recovery is here to help. Our comprehensive addiction treatment programs are tailored to meet individual needs. Call us today at 888-448-0302 to learn how we can support your recovery journey.
Choose Recovery Over Addiction
We're here 24/7 to help you get the care you need to live life on your terms, without drugs or alcohol. Talk to our recovery specialists today and learn about our integrated treatment programs.