Looking for things to do that can help you keep your mind off the recovery struggle? Here are some activities you can do in or around Oklahoma City while staying sober.
Things to do in and around the city center
- Bricktown Canal District – Bricktown is a big-time hotspot in OKC now, popular as a place to hang out and get some food or walk the canal and poke around in some local shops, with history that stretches back over a hundred years.
- Oklahoma City National Memorial and Museum – Enjoy a contemplative walk in this National Park Service-managed memorial to the victims of the 1995 OKC Bombing. The location is now a large, gorgeous park with several landmarks and memorials right downtown.
- Myriad Botanical Gardens – Myriad is home to a 17-acre botanical garden built on multiple levels with a lake at the center. The Crystal Bridge Tropical Conservatory, featured at the center of the park, doubles as a living plant museum of tropical flora from multiple locales.
Museums and zoos
- Sam Noble Oklahoma Museum of Natural History at University of Oklahoma – Founded in 1899 and currently housed in a new building that was finished in 1999 on University of Oklahoma grounds, the Oklahoma Museum of Natural History features the world’s largest Apatosaurus skeleton and the oldest painted object in North America (a bison skull).
- Oklahoma City Zoo – The zoo is the perfect thing to do when you’re trying to stay sober. Grab a soda and a hot dog and see the animals in a family style environment that makes for a great outing on a sunny weekend.
Fun in the sun
- Hurricane Harbor OKC – Speaking of soaking up some rays, going to a waterpark like Hurricane Harbor is a great idea to get some thrills in on the water slides and relax in the wave pool with a tube.
- Lake Thunderbird SP – Looking for a less crowded, more outdoor experience in the water? Visit Lake Thunderbird State Park for a swim on the weekend or to grill out on the shore.
- Civic Center Music Hall – Enjoy an evening of classical music or theatre at the Civic Center Music Hall, a New Deal era Art Deco masterpiece of construction right downtown.
- Wichita Mountains – Located only an hour and a half from downtown OKC, the Wichita Mountains is a well-loved natural landmark frequented by hikers and day-trippers alike. Formed form local geologic uplift millions of years ago, the Wichita Mountains provides a nice respite from the endless flat landscape that Oklahoma is primarily known for.
- Oklahoma River Cruise – Enjoy a river cruise on the central waterway of Oklahoma City from Oklahoma River Cruises, who offer both dinner cruises and leisure cruises with educational programs.
Learn more about sober activities in Oklahoma City
If you’re interested in learning more about how Landmark Recovery can support you, give us a call at 888-448-0302. Live beyond your addiction in every way you can. We’re here to support lives in recovery, not just treat the addiction itself.