Understanding the Dangers of Lean and Finding the Path to Recovery
Lean, also known as “purple drank” or “sizzurp,” is a recreational drug that has gained significant attention, particularly among youth. Created by mixing prescription-strength cough syrup containing codeine and promethazine with soft drinks and hard candies, this seemingly harmless concoction carries severe risks. Here’s what you need to know about lean and the support available for those seeking recovery.
What Is Lean?
Lean gets its name from the sluggish feeling it creates in users. The key active ingredients are codeine, an opioid, and promethazine, an antihistamine. When mixed with the other components, these create a sweet-tasting, euphoric drink that can have dire consequences.
Physical Effects of Lean
- Respiratory Issues: Codeine depresses the central nervous system, slowing down the breathing rate. This can lead to respiratory failure if consumed in large quantities.
- Gastrointestinal Problems: Constipation, nausea, and vomiting are common side effects.
- Addiction and Dependence: Continued use can lead to a dependency on opioids, leading to a vicious cycle of addiction.
- Dental Decay: The high sugar content in the beverage can cause tooth decay and other dental issues.
- Weight Gain: Regular consumption may lead to weight gain due to the high-calorie content in the soft drinks.
- Other Long-term Effects: Prolonged usage can lead to long-term effects like liver damage, seizures, and even death.
Mental and Emotional Impact
- Mood Changes: Lean can cause mood swings, depression, and anxiety.
- Impaired Judgment: Users may find it difficult to make sound decisions, leading to risky behavior.
- Disruption in Relationships: Addiction to lean can lead to strain in personal and professional relationships.
Recovery from lean addiction is possible, and the first step is recognizing the problem. Medical intervention, counseling, and support from friends and family are crucial to the recovery journey. At Landmark Recovery, we are dedicated to helping individuals overcome addiction and find a path to lasting recovery. Our expert team offers personalized care and proven treatment methods to guide you or a loved one back to health.
Get Help Now
Lean is not a harmless recreational drink. Its effects are severe, encompassing physical, emotional, and mental aspects of one’s life. Awareness and education about these risks, combined with the courage to seek professional help when needed, are essential.
If you or someone you know is struggling with addiction to lean or other substances, Landmark Recovery is here to help. Contact us today at 888-448-0302. Let’s take the first step towards recovery together.
Choose Recovery Over Addiction
We're here 24/7 to help you get the care you need to live life on your terms, without drugs or alcohol. Talk to our recovery specialists today and learn about our integrated treatment programs.